It is interesting to compare the Stamp Duty (“Droit d’enregistrement“) applicable to real estate transfers in New York City with the one applicable in Saint Barts.
The new New York City stamp duty schedule, effective July 1st, 2019, will be as follows:
● $1 million to $1,999,999: 1.00% (same as previously)
● $2 million to $2,999,999: 1.25%
● $3 million to $4,999,999: 1.50%
● $5 million to $9,999,999: 2.25%
● $10 million to $14,999,999: 3.25%
● $15 million to $19,999,999: 3.50%
● $20 million to $24,999,999: 3.75%
● $25 million or more: 3.90%
Continue reading “Stamp duty: A comparison between New York City and Saint Barts”
Saint Barts, also called Saint Bart’s (“Saint-Barthélemy” in French) is an island of small dimensions, but it has already proved promising when it comes to real estate investments and development.
In fact, it is probably the sole Caribbean island that witnessed an uninterrupted expansion in the real estate segment, even during the recent economic recession. Moreover, in the last several years, the real estate transactions on the island began to manifest a noticeable increase in frequency, with a number of roughly twenty to thirty operations taking place annually.
Continue reading “Investing in Saint Barts to Make Your Dream Come True? This Is What You Have to Know”